Sandy Springs (once known as Hammond) is a newly incorporated city (as of December 2005) in Fulton County, Georgia, north of Atlanta and south of Roswell. It is named for the sandy springs which still exist in the city today as a protected historic site. With an estimated population of more than 85,000 (2006), Sandy Springs is Georgia's seventh-largest city. It is the second largest of three principal cities (by population) of and is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, Georgia-Alabama (part) Combined Statistical Area.
In 1851, Wilson Spruill donated five acres (two hectares) of land for the founding of the Sandy Springs United Methodist Church near the sandy spring for which the city is named. Later, in 1905 the Hammond School was built at Johnson Ferry Road and Mt. Vernon Highway, across the street from the church.
After World War II, Sandy Springs experienced a housing boom, bringing new residents and major land development. In the 1960s and 1970s Georgia 400 and Interstate 285 connected Sandy Springs to metro Atlanta.
Today Sandy Springs is one of the best and fastest growing cities located in the Greater Atlanta area.